Tonight I came across a recipe for tortilla soup that was so simple, I did not know if it'd actually taste good. With a few alterations, I made it friendly for the boys. Okay, there's only a few ingredients in the original recipe, so besides the salsa, I changed everything else. The taste took me back to days of traveling in Mexico, I think the flavor of the soup just may shock you, too! Please note, the recipe is not corn-free as that's a food Ry has been successfully eating for about 10 months now, but it'd be very easy to make it corn-free. You could either make your own salsa or use one that is corn-free & omit the corn tortilla strips. The sorghum tortilla recipe would also work well in their place. Tortilla Soup
4 cups of salsa of your choice (I used Herdez Casera medium)
3-1/2 cups water
2 vegan bouillon cubes (I use these)
4 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
toppings: avocado, toasted corn tortilla strips, cilantro, white onion
1. Place salsa & water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
2. When boiling, add both bouillon cubes & dissolve.
3. Once bouillon cubes are dissolved, pour soup & coconut milk into blender (you may want to do it in 2 batches, depending on your blender).
4. Puree soup until smooth. Soup will turn a reddish-orange color.
5. Pour into bowls & top with chopped avocados, toasted corn tortilla strips, minced onion &/or chopped cilantro.