Happy Holidays! Okay, I'm a bit early, but before we know it, I'll be wishing all of you a Happy New Year...I've posted this pie crust before, with my venison pot pie & turkey pot pie recipes, but wanted to include it separately, for those of you looking for something for your pumpkin, apple or blueberry pie...or whatever sweet filling you're dreaming up right now. Enjoy!
p.s. if anyone has a fantastic pumpkin pie filling recipe, that is vegan & soy-free, please leave the link below in the comments. I've yet to find something, while I believe my pumpkin spice cake does a pretty good job replacing pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, it's still not the same....
Pie Crust (adapted from “Hey, that tastes good!” Little pies, or if you want galettes recipe)
1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons rice flour mix*
1 teaspoon guar gum
a pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 Cup shortening, frozen for 20 minutes
1/4 cup cold seltzer water
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
*1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup brown rice flour, 2/3 cup arrowroot flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour
1. Mix together flour mix, guar gum, salt and sugar.
2. Add in shortening, pulse until it crumbles.
3. Mix together cold seltzer water and apple cider vinegar. Drop by the tablespoon into dough, until it comes together. If the dough is too sticky, add a teaspoon of flour mix until it reaches correct consistency.
4. Divide dough into two pieces. Flatten each piece into a round disc, sprinkle with flour and place wax paper on top. Place in freezer for 20-30 minutes, while preparing filling.
5. Remove from freezer and roll into large pie crust, mini pie crusts, galettes, etc. It holds together amazingly well! Bakes beautifully! Tastes wonderful!