We've been using this pancake recipe for sometime now, but I wanted to share an updated post, as we just recently tried them gluten-free. Using the Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free blend works great; you can't even tell they're gluten-free. I'm sure if you have your own favorite blend, it'd work just as well, and I'd also love to hear what blend that is!
2 cups gluten-free flour blend (we like Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free blend)
1 tablespoon baking powder (for corn-free, you can make your own)
2 tablespoons sugar (omit for sugar-free, also works with honey)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (omit for corn-free, or use vanilla powder)
1 duck egg
1/4 cup palm shortening or coconut oil
1-3/4 dairy-free buttermilk (2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice added to milk, then let sit for 5-minutes)
1. Add vinegar or lemon juice to dairy-free milk (we prefer cashew milk). Let sit.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Add palm shortening to dry ingredients, mixing with hands to thoroughly spread. Coconut oil also works.
4. When the buttermilk is ready (it sort of curdles), add that, the vanilla and egg to the dry ingredients.
5. Heat skillet. Add pancakes in whatever size you prefer. Cook until it bubbles, then flip. Add berries before flipping, if you prefer.
6. Top with earth balance vegan butter sticks, coconut oil, or palm shortening, & maple syrup, jelly or fruit syrup.
* note: these can be made nut-free with alternative dairy-free milks; they can be corn-free with homemade baking powder