When birthdays or holidays roll around, so does one request, lemon meringue pie. My oldest has decided he's not much for cakes, cupcakes occasionally, but the all-time favorite, lemon meringue pie. I can't argue with that, it's one of my favorites, too. We make it with duck eggs & cashew milk; they both add an unmatched creaminess & richness to this family favorite.
This particular recipe is modified from a few different ones I've used- the one from the cornstarch box & others found via Google. It's a classic, with an allergy-friendly twist, & usually some extra lemon juice. We prefer it tart!
Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup sugar
5 T cornstarch
1/4 t salt
1-1/2 cup cashew milk (or 'safe' dairy-free option)
2 lemons, juiced & zested
2 T Palm shortening
4 duck egg yolks, beaten
1 baked pie crust (we use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour blend)
4 egg whites
6 T sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Filling: whisk together sugar, cornstarch & salt.
3. Stir in milk, lemon juice & lemon zest. Stir frequently until boiling.
4. Stir in shortening.
5. Whisk half cup of hot mixture into egg yolks, then add back into filling & bring to a boil.
6. Pour filling into a cooled pie shell.
7. Meringue: beat duck egg whites on high, until foamy. Gradually add sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over the pie filling, sealing all edges.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown.