We like sauces around here; I'm one of those who piles their food on my plate, just so the flavors meld together. I know some get grossed out by that, but I really think it amplifies the taste of the dish. So when we kicked off summer with a fresh eating plan...well, I kicked off summer with the plan, the kids begrudgingly are along for the ride...I knew we'd need some sauce alternatives, like ketchup. This was easy to make and delicious, it just takes a bit of time; it also makes a lot! The cayenne gives it a nice little kick at the end.
2-cans tomato paste 6 ounces
1-can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
1/2 cup chopped dates
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup broth or water
2 teaspoons herbamare (to taste)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you want a bigger kick)
1. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it heats up, turn down to low.
2. Whisking continuously, cook for about 20 minutes, to let the flavors meld together.
3. Carefully pour into the Vitamix and puree until smooth. Be very careful, it'll very hot!
4. Pour back into the saucepan and cook for about 10-15 more minutes over low heat.
5. Use as ketchup, add to sloppy joes, bbq sauce, meatloaf topping, and more! Enjoy!