Jelly Thumbprint Cookies (vegan, gluten-free)
I have to say, I am quite proud of these cookies. You know when you have one of those moments, where you really think something will work if you tweak it & twist it just right? & then it actually does? Well, I admit, these moments don't happen all the time- after all, it takes a lot of tweaking & twisting to get things to taste good, when you're working without dairy, eggs & gluten, just to name a few. Technically, we're working with a whole let less then that, but these cookies are pretty much perfect- I think I ate more than the boys. They of course preferred the jelly middle, but that just left more of the cookie itself for me! So just in time for the holidays, here's the recipe. Enjoy!
Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
2 teaspoons corn-free baking powder
1 teaspoon guar gum
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup palm shortening, cold
3/4 cup water (or non-dairy milk)
1/2 cup sugar
Favorite kind of jelly
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Stir together the dry ingredients.
3. Add the cold palm shortening to the dry ingredients & mix well (I find using my fingers is the easiest).
4. Stir in water (or non-dairy milk), mix until combined. Again, I find using my hands most effective.
5. Roll into balls & place on greased cookie sheet (or line with parchment paper). Gently make wholes in the middle of the cookies, being careful not to go all the way through the dough. Fill with choice of jelly- strawberry or raspberry are our favorites :).
6. Bake for about 12-14 minutes, until done. Enjoy!
& be sure to get your vote in over at Circle of Mom's for the top allergy blogs!