For Ry's birthday cake this year, I put a twist on my beloved pumpkin spice cake. Omitting some spices and adding in shredded carrots and raisins resulted in an absolutely delicious carrot cake! It was perfect- dense, moist, flavorful and enjoyed by everyone. I must admit, there's a sense of pride I cannot hide when telling people the cake is free of dairy, eggs, gluten and more. The reply heard most often? Well, what's in it? Here it is, simple, but delightful. Enjoy!
1-1/2 Cup Brown Rice or Sorghum flour
1/2 Cup Tapioca or Arrowroot flour
3/4 Cup organic sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon guar gum
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup raisins
1- 15 ounce canned pumpkin
1/2 Cup olive oil or melted palm shortening
1/4 Cup applesauce
1 Tablespoon molasses
3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 Cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoon non-dairy milk or water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Add to the dry- carrots, raisins, pumpkin, oil, applesauce, and molasses. Mix well, then add apple cider vinegar.
4. Pour into greased 8-inch cake pan. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
5. For glaze, mix ingredients in blender (I use my Vitamix) and top cake once it's cooled.