I've never been one for broccoli salad. I don't really know why, or if I've even tried it. Well, that has changed! Tonight we needed a new way for the kids to eat their veggies & broccoli & cauliflower were filling the fridge. So, here it is, my own take on broccoli salad. I left out the raisins, simply because Mike actually loves broccoli salad & requested sans-raisins. Being not much of a raisin fan myself, I was happy to oblige. It is also pretty versatile, if you need to change up the veggies, use bacon instead of prosciutto, make it nut-free, etc. I also use the soy-free vegenaisse because Ry doesn't tolerate soy, but you could use whatever works for you.
1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower
1 red onion
1-4 oz pack of prosciutto ham (or bacon)
3/4 cup almonds (or other 'safe' nut or omit)
1 cup vegenaisse (soy-free)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1. Mix together dressing ingredients.
2. Chop broccoli & cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Dice red onion.
3. Slice prosciutto ham into bite-size pieces. Place in small skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned.
4. Mix together broccoli, cauliflower, onion, prosciutto & almonds.
5. Pour dressing over salad. Stir until combined. Chill until serving.