I prefer scones that are moist and flakey, almost like a rich biscuit, full of berries. We experimented a few mornings ago & we're really happy with how they turned out. It's been a summer full of berries, so we're enjoying all different ways of eating them!
Berry Scones (dairy-free, vegan)
1-3/4 cup flour
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup dairy-free buttermilk
1/2 cup berries*
1 egg (omit for vegan option)
1 Tablespoon dairy-free milk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare dairy-free buttermilk by pouring 3/4 milk into a measuring cup & adding 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Let sit while you prepare scones.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
4. Cut in the shortening, blending lightly. Don't over mix!
5. Add berries, mix just enough to blend it all together.
6. Break into 8 equal pieces, or shape into triangles if you prepare the classic scone shape. Brush with the egg and milk mixture, unless you're wanting a vegan option or have an egg allergy.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
*other ideas, instead of berries: raisins, currants, chocolate chips, dried fruit, shredded or flaked coconut, chopped nuts, citrus zest