A Year of Healing
It’s amazing an entire year has passed since we began Rylee’s journey towards good health. Although we have not arrived at our final destination, we have still come a long way. Our allergic adventures began when Ry was a baby. Around 20 months we first learned about his multiple allergies and intolerances so we pulled them all out of his diet and thought he was getting better. We were wrong. His skin was clear for only a few days and then he began to flare and only got worse. As the months went along, his skin flared more. It was difficult and exhausting. When I was 8 months pregnant with our second son, I got my hands on Dr. Kenneth Bock’s book “Healing the New Childhood Epidemics.” I strongly recommend it to any parent dealing with autism, ADHD/ADD, allergies, eczema or asthma. Your child does not need to have all of these, but if they have one, then pick up this book. It made me realize Ry had yeast overgrowth and I attribute our path of healing starting with this book. When Coven was born, it was a whirlwind; Ry actually did good for a couple days with all the excitement and distraction, but it didn’t last long. In the middle of July, we flew to Anchorage and drove to Wasilla for our first appointment at Mat-Su Integrative Medicine. He was started on antifungals for yeast; one month later we began low dose allergy (LDA) immunotherapy. His reactions a few days after his first LDA shot were so strange. He was soaking his pajamas during the night; it was like toxins were seeping out of him. His skin actually got worse before it got better, but I’m still in disbelief about the wetness that poured out of his skin.
We had hoped he would clear up and the results would be amazing after the first shot, but they weren’t. However, his bloated, distended stomach went down and looked “normal,” in addition to the wetness. So, we knew the LDA was having an impact. Now, seven shots later; many months of antifungals; numerous supplements; antibiotics for clostridium overgrowth; lots of sleepless nights; so much exhaustion; and most recently, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), we have experienced a year of healing.
When Ry no longer has eczema and goes an entire day without any itching, then I will feel victorious in this battle, but for now, I’m excited we have come so close! The major contributors to our healing are: LDA, TCM, vitamin D, high dose of probiotics and digestive enzymes. Some of this may be redundant to other posts, but sometimes I think redundancy is good. I hope my posts help another family dealing with severe eczema and I know from my own experience, you don’t always have time to search through a whole blog looking for hope. So again, redundancy- not to be redundant (hahaha, okay I might have taken it too far....).
What a happy boy, at his first Disneyland visit!
Here’s a timeline for our year of healing:
- mid-July: first appointment with doctor who practices Environmental Medicine at an Integrative clinic; put on antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-August: first LDA shot, continues on antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-October: second LDA shot, continues on antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-December: third LDA shot, continues on antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-January: retested for allergies; corn, oats and peas do not show up on patch test; seafood, shellfish, chicken show up on prick test; trialed oats but didn’t pass and skin did not clear enough to trial others; continues on antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-February: fourth LDA shot, increased LDA dose to half a regular dose, took off antifungals for two weeks, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- March: started on flagyl, an antibiotic, for clostridium overgrowth that showed up in stool sample
- mid-April: fifth LDA shot, decreased shot to low dose; continues antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics; put on flagyl again for ten days
- mid-May: sixth LDA shot; continues antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-July: seventh LDA shot; took off antifungals, digestive enzymes, vitamin D and high dose of probiotics
- mid-end July: appointments with TCM doctor, with massage, acupuncture, herbs and cream